City Charter High School is a Tuition-FREE Public High School.
Only 180 seats are available for each incoming class. Remember, seats are on a first-come, first-served basis and ONLY completed applications can be processed to hold your place in line.
Completed applications will be placed in line according to the date received within the appropriate admissions period. Please make sure you submit all the documents listed below with your application in order to complete the application process for your child.
You will need: Application (either online or paper version) and copies of the following:
- Two proofs of residency (both addresses must match Parent/Guardian’s CURRENT address). Acceptable forms include:
- Driver’s license
- State ID
- Vehicle Registration Card
- Utility Bill
- Mortgage/Lease documents
- Bank/credit card statement
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate
- A copy of your child’s immunization record
- Legal guardianship documents (If there are any)
Birth Certificate Resources:
- January 24, 2021 – Current transferring 9th and 10th grade applications must be submitted to attend City High in the current school year.
City High only accepts transferring students in the 9th and 10th Grade.
Admissions Timeline for the 2021 – 2022 School Year
October 1, 2021 – Sibling Preference window opens. Eighth graders who have a sibling currently attending City High may apply starting October 1, 2021.
Siblings do not receive preference after October 31, 2021.
November 1, 2021 – Pittsburgh Public School District Resident Preference window opens. 8th graders from the Pittsburgh Public School District may apply starting November 1, 2021.
For the 2021/2022 school year, a total of 180 freshmen will be admitted.
- December 7, 2021 – If by Monday, December 7, 2021, there are more than 180 applications in total, including applications of siblings, then a public lottery will occur. The number of seats available in the lottery is 180 minus the number of sibling applications.
If by Monday, December 8, 2021 we have received fewer than 180 applications, then no lottery will occur. Applications will continue to be processed in the order in which they are received.
- December 8, 2021 – Registration continues for both Pittsburgh and suburban residents. Any eighth graders living in Pennsylvania may apply starting December 8, 2021.
Once 180 students have applied, new applications will then be placed on a waiting list in the order in which the complete application documents are received.