Challenging Students Who Want More
At City Charter High School we have many ways of keeping students interested, engaged… and learning.
Participation in the City Charter High School honors program is open to all students. The honors program is a deeper and broader study of the standard curriculum in Mathematics, English, History and Science, beginning in the 10th grade. Students may take a maximum of 12 honors courses between grades 10-12. Approximately 30% of City High students participate in the honors program in each subject area.
Honors credit is given within a course for work over and above the core curriculum and Honors designation is included on the City High student transcript. Students enter the honors program at the beginning of the trimester and students are allowed to drop honors at any time during the first four weeks of a given trimester. 10th, 11th and 12th grade students must stay in honors for the entire year long class.
National Honor Society
The National Honor Society recognizes academic achievement, service to the school and community, leadership, character and citizenship. Inducted students are expected to take on leadership roles in the school and community. Criteria for membership has four parts –
- Scholarship (3.25 QPA, and at least 1 Honors class)
- Character (No suspensions in the current school year, minimum grade B in Workforce in the previous and current trimesters, 5 or less unexcused absences/tardies in the current school year)
- Leadership (Recommendation signed off by four grade level teachers)
- Service (50 hours of participation in school and out of school service experiences).
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
City Charter High School provides students the opportunity to explore electives during all four years of high school. Ninth and tenth grade students can take electives in the arts, music, technology or desktop publishing. Upperclassmen can take electives in all content areas. Elective offerings can change based upon trimester.
9th GRADE ELECTIVES
- Introduction to Programming
- Introduction to Desktop Publishing
- Introduction to Music
- Introduction to Artistic Design
10th GRADE ELECTIVES
- Desktop Publishing
- Artistic Design
11th GRADE ELECTIVESElective offerings may include:
- Marketing, Accounting
- Visual Literacy, Sculpture
- Piano, Chorus
- Public Speaking, Short Fiction
- Music & Social Change
- Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus
12th GRADE ELECTIVESElective offerings may include:
- Strength Training, PLYOGA, Lifetime Health
- Technology & Business Electives
- Mythology, Horror Fiction, Poetry
- Sports & Politics, Modern World, Violence in America
- Probability & Statistics, Mathematical Games, Number Theory
- Anatomy, Microbiology, Science & Manufacturing, Zoology, Engineering
The Robotics electives introduce our students to FIRST Robotics, a program that provides an introduction to science, technology, and business in a uniquely engaging manner to the students of City Charter High School. The Short Circuits, Team 1743, is a team of juniors and seniors. The Short Circuits compete in the FIRST Robotics competition, a competition that challenges teens from all over the world to create a fully functional robot that is designed to complete specific tasks.
- Visual (sketch, sculpt, paint, illustrate/animate,work in watercolor or Photoshop)
- Verbal (writing, digital media, playwriting)
- Musical (choir, keyboarding, drumming, guitar)
- Performance (dance, acting, public speaking)