How We Keep Things Interesting
We may not have sports teams (you can still play), but the high school experience at City Charter High School is pretty amazing. In some respects, it’s more like going to private academy, a college-prep or arts school… even a cyber school.
We are technology oriented and college/career focused, but we make sure that no matter what you’re into, there’s something for you at City High.
City Charter High School will provide you with a laptop for your studies 24/7. It will allow you to communicate with your teachers and classmates, submit homework, check on assignments, even join your class virtually through livestreaming.
How does Roast Beef with Au Jus Dip, Cranberry Chicken Salad, Stir Fried Rice with Sweet and Sour Chicken, Fall Pasta with Sausage, Southwest Chicken and Vegetable Gravy over Biscuit, or Steak Salad with a Pittsburgh twist—topped with French Fries and Smoky Tomato Dressing, all from scratch, sound to you?
The goal of City High’s Cafeteria is to offer a made-from-scratch food program that not is not only fresh and nutritious, but also one that students and staff will like to eat. The choices are so good that City High’s food program earned an A+ on City High’s Niche school profile, based on student and parent responses.
Cardio, free weights, fitness machines, power ropes… you name it and City Charter High School’s on-site, state-of-the art fitness center has it. It is ideal for Grade 9 PE classes and for after school workouts. There’s even an after-school fitness club where you can work out alongside your teachers.
- Presque Isle—Kayaking, canoeing, fishing and swimming in Erie PA
- Camp Kon-o-Kwee—Canoeing, rock climbing, and the Trail of Courage obstacle course
- Laurel Caverns—Caverns tour, rappelling
- Niagara Falls—Maid of the Mist and the Cave of Winds, descending 175 feet into Niagara Gorge to the Hurricane Deck
- New York City— Times Square, Ferry Ride past the Statue of Liberty, and a slice of the Big Apple!
- Ohiopyle—Students enjoy rafting, hiking, mountain biking, and rock climbing in one of the largest state parks located in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania
- International Service Learning—Each year, up to 20 City Charter High School junior students are invited to embark on a journey of personal and cultural discovery in a foreign country
- Teen Quest—The Laurel Highlands engage fellow seniors in a rugged outdoor adventure, including horseback rides, archery, paintball, biking, fishing, go-cart driving, outdoor mazes and much more.
City Charter High School students regularly compete with other high school students throughout the region, the country and even internationally. We are proud of the students who represent us in these endeavors, because we understand the commitment and extra effort required. You may want to check out:
Open to students in grades 10 – 12, FIRST Robotics exists to provide an introduction to science, technology, and business in a uniquely engaging manner to the students of City Charter High School. The Short Circuits, Team 1743, is a team of juniors and seniors. The Short Circuits compete in the FIRST Robotics competition, a competition that challenges teens from all over the world to create a fully functional robot that is designed to complete specific tasks.
Students for the Advancement of Global Entrepreneurship (SAGE) was founded in 2002 with the mission of helping create the next generation of entrepreneurial leaders.
City Charter High School SAGE students create and operate businesses, take care of bookkeeping, scheduling, marketing and public relations, sales, and community outreach and volunteering. SAGE is open to students in grades 9 – 12 who are interested in entrepreneurship.
Our SAGE teams have won two National SAGE Competitions (2103 and 2014) and taken second place in 2014 at the worldwide competition held in Moscow, bringing recognition to the school and the City. They also took second place nationally with two more titles in 2015 and 2016.
Although not a traditional high school experience, City Charter High School ensures there are social outlets for you. We sponsor a fall dance, semi-formal dance (Snowball) in the winter and a formal dance (Senior Prom) in the spring.
In the first trimester of each school year, we host an Activities Fair to introduce students and their families to the diverse activities and clubs our school has to offer.
- Art Club/Family Art Night
- English Festival
- Literacy Night
- Little Library
- City High Cooking with Cops
- City High Lifting with Cops
- City High Traffic Stop
- Climbing Club
- National Honor Society
- Study Club
- Spring Musical Cast
- Fitness Club
- Students for the Advancement of Global Entrepreneurship (SAGE)
- Dance Committees
- Inked Truths- Literary and Arts Magazine
- Student Assembly
- Green Thumbs in Gray Spaces
- STEM Club
Are you musically or theatrically inclined? City Charter High School has a few outlets for your talents. We offer a Spring Musical each year that will allow you to “tread the boards” or take your hand at writing, directing, acting or performing on your instrument.
Join Young Playwrights and be a part of a group of highly motivated students responsible for the concept, development and creation of City High’s Spring Musical.
Students are selected for participation in the Spring Musical through an audition process, held in late January and early February.
For more information, email: