What Makes Our School So Safe
Our priority at all times is to protect all students and staff from harm. We are proud to have earned an “A” Health and Safety Rating, according to niche.com. This is due to many factors including our robust facility security measures. But safety these days must also include things like meeting CDC protocols to prevent the spread of infectious disease.
Like most schools, we have made preparations to deal effectively with emergency situations that could occur in or around the school while classes are in session, but we go beyond this to ensure the well being of every student with full-time nurses and counselors at our school everyday to help assess and prevent issues that might impair learning.
All forms of bullying are violations of the Student Code of Conduct and taken seriously. Each year, the City Charter High School Bullying Policy Committee reviews our policy to ensure it is continually updated and enhanced. Our strict anti-bullying policy applies to all activities in school, online (cyber bullying), during a school sponsored event or activity and while a student is in transit to/from the school.
Broadly speaking, bullying is any act that intentionally causes injury or physical, emotional or mental discomfort. Some examples of non-acceptable behavior include:
- Physical contact, assault, name calling, etc.
- Threatening behavior, including intimidation, pranks and taunting
- Spreading rumors and engaging in any form of electronic bullying or social cruelty, including texts, IMs, chat rooms, etc.
- Posting sensitive, private information about another person
- Hazing (recklessly endangering health or safety related to an initiation or admission to a group)
City Charter High School maintains a safety plan that is unique to our multi-use building and aligned with best practices established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Our facility safeguards include:
Ballistic Glass Lobby
Emergency Panic Buttons
82 Monitored Cameras
EMERGENCY Panic Switches on every floor
EMERGENCY Panic Switches in every classroom
City Charter High School has had numerous safety assessments completed by the Pennsylvania State Police, Pittsburgh Emergency Management and the Department of Homeland Security.
At City Charter High School, 100% of our staff and students have received ALICE-Certified Training. In fact, City High is officially an “ALICE Certified Organization,” one of only 22 organizations (out of the 3407 schools and 120 charter schools) in the state of Pennsylvania to receive this certification.
ALICE Training® helps schools to prevent, mitigate, respond to, and recover from a violent critical incident. Here are some of the procedures:
- All students and staff have been trained in ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) techniques by our certified ALICE instructor.
- All classroom doors can be locked from inside with a key.
- All exterior doors remain locked during the school day.
- A school safety officer staffs our secure lobby; there is surveillance 24/7
- Visitors (admitted via an outdoor video intercom) are not permitted access to the school without providing a state issued ID for clearance through the school’s Raptor background check system.
- All school hallways are equipped with panic switches that alert safety officers and administrators immediately when activated. There are also panic switches that allow school administrators to quickly and quietly alert authorities to emergency situations.
When students revisit the school, they will notice many changes. City Charter High School has made an investment in safety from the deadly virus by implementing all CDC suggested measures:
- Touchless Infrared Temperature Scans
- Mandatory Mask Wearing
- Sanitizing Stations
- New Daily Cleaning Protocols
- Ventilation Upgrades
- Bi-weekly Electrostatic Cleaning of Floors
- Weekly Electrostatic Cleaning of the Entire School
- Separate Entrances and Exits
- One-way Hallways
- 6-ft. Spacing around Desks
- Plexiglas Barriers in Designated Areas
- Other Physical Distancing Practices throughout the School
City Charter High School maintains our safe, supportive school environment by establishing school-wide behavioral expectations and promoting a caring school climate, positive interventions and supports development.
Our Health & Wellness program includes a full-time nurse and two full-time mental health professionals to assist in the implementation of the philosophy of the school, which calls for the fullest realization of the potential of each child on every level – intellectual, social, emotional, and physical. Students/parents have access to a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and a full-time Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
Learn More about our Health & Wellness Program